CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Picture You've Been Waiting For

Here she is...Tess Katerina Knight!


What a cutie pie, hu? She's small for her age. But, she's a big girl at heart. Very independent and happy - most of the time. :)

Rob, Tess and I walked to Red Square this morning and had a "photo shoot". So cute! This picture is when we were leaving. We took almost 200 pictures! So they are going to take me a little while to go through! This was one of the last ones we took. Easy to find. I'll post more when we get home.

So, I've had lots of blog friends aking questions about bedtime. To be honest - it has been a mess. The first night she cried for an hour. I sat on the floor and held her and rocked her. It was good that she wanted to have me hold her during all of it. When she finally stopped crying and somewhat fell asleep I just laid down on a mattress on the floor with her. She slept all night. Bedtime #1.

Today was our first time to put her down for a nap. She always naps at the orphanage from 1:00 -3:00. It was about 2:00 and she was very tired. So, I tried laying down with her in our bed. She still cried - more like screamed - for about 45minutes. It probably sounds mean to let her cry like that. But, she was so tired, and it was kind of a ridiculas cry. No tears, not scared - just plain not wanting to go to bed. I kept my arm around her and kept saying real quietly, "It's alright, Mommy's here." At one point she had a little pathetic sob and said, "It's alright, it's alright." Maybe she thought that's what we Americans say at bedtime. ;) Bedtime #2

Well, before I tell about bedtime #3 let me explain something...

Tess and Rob have made a very sweet connection. It was seriously of God what happened yesterday in Vladimir. Rob and I are always on the edge of being confused here. The interperters will tell us something, we think we understand, and then next thing we know we're getting out of the car somewhere and doing something totally different. They're saying, "Hurry get out and come with me!" We rush out the car with our coats half on. Then we go into a room and they tell us to sit and wait while they dissapear for half an hour. Then they come out and say, "Let's go." Anyway, that's just a little explaination backdrop.

We asked seveal times what the plan was yesterday. The order of things. Just trying to understand. Paperwork, different paperwork, more paperwork, then the orphange to get Tess. They have told us over and over that we should have an outfit for her to go home in. So, Audrey and I thoughtfully picked out this darling, funky dress - purple with big daisys on it, cute tights, matching purple shoes, little purple bow. And I mean little - no more mega psycho bows they like the girls to wear in Russia. I'd say they're more like a bow you'd put on a large Christmas package!

Anway, all of a sudden we find ourselves at the orphange. The interperter says, "Rob, get the girl's outfit and give Angela your passport. We need to hurry. She will finish the paperwork and you will change and get the girl." So, we're totally frantic! What about the cute pictures I was going to take to make memories for her?! Plus, Rob just said, "Oh, man. Moms are better at this stuff." I tossed him our little Canon Sure-Shot camera, the outfit and a handful of balloons and he was whisked away. I told our interperter, "Wow, we didn't expect that." She said, "We must hurry. You will be there when we pick her up." Well I hope so for goodness sake!

Okay, they had told Rob we'd be back in an hour. And 2 1/2 hours later we got back to the orphange. I was worried he was out of things to do. BUT, to my most pleasant surprise, as I was walking in I could her Tess laughing. Rob and her were playing like old friend! What a sweet moment. He came over and said, "We had a lot of fun together." God is so good. If I would have been there I would have dominated the playing. I know I'm like that. I try not to be, but I'm a first born, what can I say?

Another thing that happened as I walked in, Tess looked at me and said, "Peesit, Mama" (pee-pee). Then she wet the biggest truck-load all over the place! Fortunately Rob had not changed her clothes into her trendy little dress. He knew it was going to be sad for her, so he was holding off as long as possible. The cook or maid - some lady with an apron on - took us to a big bathroom with two tubs and a shower. She handed us a towel and walked out the door. Welcome to our family Tess!

We stripped her down, put her in a tub, turned on the cozy warm water and Rob sprayed her off - in fun Daddy style. I collected the wet clothes and got her new clothes all ready. I took her out of the tub, dryed her off and started getting her dressed. The whole time I was smiling at her and talking really sweet, but she was screaming her head off. The maid lady came back in told her something that made her stop crying and finished getting her dressed. Oh so cute, topped of with the bow.

So, since that time, Tess has had the two bedtime episodes, wet herself again (with a pull-up on), hit me in the face three times, (by the way, I got my point across the third time that was not acceptable and she hasn't done it again - if you know what I mean). So, what is Mommy? The disiplainarion. What is Daddy? The super fun person that's like an amusment park! Of course that's what Daddy's are for. ;)

Okay, the ending to my very long story - bedtime #3. Rob and I decided that he would put her to bed tonight. He said he couldn't handle the crying for an hour so if it got out of control he'd call me in. We braced ourselves, Rob said, "Tess, spawt" (sleep) She stood up, walked across the room to him smiling, and passed me with a defiant look and went to bed. Not one bit of fussing. She just went in and laid down - that was it. Rob came out 2 minutes later and we started laughing like crazy (quietly). Maybe because we're tired half out of our minds.

Needless to say, we're going to have some Mommy issues to resolve when we get home. But, I'm up for the challenge. Bring it on, Girlfriend. ;)

Well, I'm heading off to bed now. Sooo tired. Sorry this post tured into a novel. If you got sleepy and had to read it in two installments, you haven't offended me! Ha!

I'll post more pictures as time allows. P.S. my spell check is not working - sorry for any crazy mis-spellings!

16 comments:

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

Loved it all!!!! Glad to hear that things are going well. That picture is so great.

Aaron, Ana and Emma Stafford said...

WOW .. imagining you and Rob laughing at the end of all that is pretty funny! You guys are doing great!

You being stormed around with no information is such an Eastern European Communist way of dealing with things.... see I can say stuff like that because I am Romanian and grew up with it :-) Aaron can tell you all about that too. He "loves" it!

I love the picture you posted and can hardly wait to see more.

Michelle said...

Oh Yeah! I love reading the messages. Typos and all! I'm sooo glad Rob is there with you. Great photo!
Michelle

Amy G. said...

Oh Angela, I giggled and cried all the way through this! You guys are awesome. Just keep tuning in to how God wants you to do things with your youngest daughter. Lisa and I specifically prayed something similar just this morning.:) You all are doing great. Now, hurry up and come home!

Craig and Phyllis said...

Beautiful! Waiting to see more of her. Our youngest bonded with Craig much more than with me while we were in Russia. It can be tough, even though you understand and expect it, and especially when you are exhausted. But at least you wont have so much time in Russia where you feel like every move is being watched and examined! Sounds like all of you are doing great! Praying for you.

Patti said...

Oh my! She sure is a cutie pie! I was chuckling about how the interpreter tells you you're going to do something, and then suddenly you are somewhere else and she tells you to hurry - that was exactly how things went for us when we adopted Alex. Kind of hard to get used to if you are a person who likes to be in control like me! I'm glad that bedtime went better the second night. You are in my prayers!

Amy...who wanted 4. said...

Man are you bringing back some memories!
It sounds like ya'll are doing great. I am sure the kinks will all work out.
Can't wait to see more photos! She is a doll!

The KC Browns said...

What a doll baby!!! She's precious! What sweet memories you are making! I bet the other kids can't WAIT to get you guys home!!!

Can't wait to see her and you guys!!!

anonymous said...

I have never posted on a blog before, but I came across your blog and wanted to say you are doing a great job with your daughter. We adopted from Vladimir a few years ago. It is an interesting rewarding journey. Best Wishes.

TO said...

Stong work you guys! Come home soon and safely.

Troy and Rachel said...

She's beautiful - congratualtions. I hope bedtime gets better for you. Our son initally attached to Troy first too because then men are so much fun and we mama's have to do the boring stuff, like feed them. However it changes quickly so hang in there. I'm glad you could laugh about it!

Becky Grimes said...

I love that HUGE smile on her face!!!

Mom said...

What a fun, cute, happy picture. We can't wait to see all 200. We love the long story, you are great at painting a word
picture. "That's great about Tess's reaction to Rob putting her to bed. Maybe you can teach her, "Daddy wants you to take a nap now," when he's at work. I hope she likes her Grammy, but I've got a feeling she's going to be drawn to Grandpa. He would love that so much. We can't wait until you get home.

Unknown said...

We are very excited and happy for you. Finally after this 4 year journey, you have your precious little one with you. It brings us so much joy just knowing that another little child will grow up with a family and the joys and pleasures that life should bring to a little one. What satan meant for harm and sadness, GOD meant for good. His plan and purpose for her life will still be pursued! God bless you all as your lives are joined together.

P.S. We were at Red Square around 2 the same day you were (Wed.). Funny uh? It's a Small World after all.

Amy said...

She's gorgeous!!!! Congrats all~

Nicole Brueck said...

What a pretty girl! We adopted through EAC in the Vladimir region as well last year. Enjoy!!