CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

We're in Russia!

We're here in Russia!! We've had a crazy few days...
We left our house Sunday at 10:30am. After bad weather in Chicago, three missed flights we arrived in Moscow at 10:45pm on Monday! Then we found out ALL our luggage was lost. We arrived at our hotel in Moscow at 2am Tuesday, with no luggage! We left that morning at 6am to drive to Vladimir. Yes, that's 4 hours later!

We droved three hours to Vladimir. When we got there we met our cooordinator who is wonderful. We signed some paperwork and left for the orphanage. We met our new little cutie pie at 11:00am on Tuesday, August 18! Man, what an entratnce she made! They had us sit on a sofa in a big room with toys and a table. She came skipping in with two of her "care takers". She had two big bows in her hair and a cute little dress. She had a gigantic smile and was singing some peppy little Russian song. Now, that totally discribes her personality. ENERGY!!! She giggles at everything and has awesome fine and gross motor skills! Threads tiny string into beads, goes up and down stairs one foot at a time, etc. We got to visit her three times. One time we played outside with all the other kids at the orphanage, too. That was an experience, let me tell you. Rob got the brunt of it - after he taught them to "give him knuckels" they all thought it was appriopraite to punch him. 15 little pre-schoolers just wacking him and cracking up. A little out of control! But, they were sweet. It was so sad to live our little baby girl today. She, however, just hugged us and waved "paka" then ran off to have lunch! (Goodbye)

Because we have no luggage we have no electrical converters, so we can't recharge our computer. We plan to Skype our kids tonight - finally!! So, I have to go to conserve energy. But, I'll blog again when we get home.

Oh, and by the way - we have learned that you really can get by with only a few clothes, 6 granola bars, a toothbrush and deoderant while in a foreign country. We're trying to look on the bright side!

8 comments:

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry your luggage got lost...that happened to me on one of my trips as well and you really can survive..its just not as comfortable as it COULD be...but it sounds like your trip is going really well otherwise...so that is AWESOME!!! Sounds like your new little sweetie is a doll. So happy for you.

Kristine

Craig and Phyllis said...

I survived 2 weeks in Russia on our missions trip with just the clothes on my back, and the stuff in my carry on bag! Plus we were staying out in a remote village in Siberia, 100 degrees while we were there! It is amazing how we can function with so much less than we think we can! : )

So happy to hear about your daughter! Sounds like you had a great start with her! Praying for you!

Amy said...

Oh my!!! Sorry about the luggage experience. I hope the rest of the journey goes more smoothly. Keep us posted on things when you can. My prayers are with you.

Amy

Patti said...

Wow! Good thing you had the important items in your carry-on! She sounds like such a sweetheart - how exciting! I'm so glad that you are rising above your circumstances and making the best of it.

findingourdaughter said...

Wow! Oh my goodness what an adventure....I think I would freak if my luggage didn't make it! We are due to travel some time this fall--praying I have my luggage arrive! Your little girl sounds perfect and amazing. Hope you get to visit her again!
God bless!

Momma McNay said...

Yeah! I'm so excited for you. I've been on pins and needles checking this 'tri-daily'. I cannot wait to hear more! In a few years maybe you and Rob can do that reality show where couples globe trot. (I can't think of the name, I never watch TV). Many prayers being sent your way!
~Michelle M

Troy and Rachel said...

So glad you made it safe but sorry about your luggage. However, you can tell from your post that even without your luggage you all are beaming at meeting your daughter! Congrats!!

Carolynn and Steve said...

So glad to hear that, despite the problems with your luggage, everything is going so well! Keeping you guys in my prayers, and I'm so happy for you!

Carolynn