CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Orphanage Memories

When we met Tess for the first time we asked what were her favorite things do. The orphanage care-takers unanimously said, "Kick a ball and sing." And they were right! So, we have signed up for spring soccer! Rob will be coaching the tiny 3-on-3 games with 4 year old girls. I bought Tess a brand new, bright pink soccer ball. She loves it! We have really had to help guide her in the sharing of her soccer ball. When the kids got home from school today Will went downstairs with Tess to play. She had to make the trip upstairs just to tell me, "Tess sweet. Share'n MY soccer ball."





Orphange Memories...
First, I'm not sure I have mentioned that Tess seems to have "no memory" of Russia. Which is a completely internal defense mechanism God puts in us! Sort of self preservation. After she was here for 7 weeks she dropped ALL Russian language. If I ask her something in Russian she tells me "no, Mommy". But, if she does answer me, she answers in English. For example, yesterday I asked her in Russian, "Show me your arm." She said, "No...(long pause)...arm". When I have shown her pictures of the orphanage all she does is comment on herself or the clothes people are wearing. But, then suddenly...

Last week I was going through some pictures and Tess saw a picture of the outside of the orphanage. (You know those beautiful bright teal shades the have in Russia.) She gasped and smiled real big and said, "That MY house!" I said, "Do you want to go there?" She put the picture down and said, "No. Stay home. MY mommy, MY house, MY daddy, MY sister." So, with that in mind, I got on the computer today and pulled up the pictures from Russia. I was hoping to get a little information from her about her memories before they really are all gone. I found the picture she had commented on last week. She got on my lap and smiled real big and said, "That my house!" I told her, "Now THIS is your house, I am your mommy, this is your computer." She smiled and hugged me then I asked her if she wanted to see more pictures of her "old house". She said yes. It was so amazing. A little light went on in her brain. She pointed to the front door and said, "My door, upstairs, blue stairs, my room up up, high." I asked her if she was sad at her old house she said, "Nooo, Tess happy."


I showed her the pictures of the small room with 10 little beds all lined up. She pointed out her bed (the care-takers had told us which one was her bed). She said, "My bed!" I said, "Did Mommy lay down with you in your old bed?" She said, "No...Tess sleep" Just to make sure she was understanding I asked her, "Does Mommy lay down with you in your bed upstairs?" She said, "Yes! Mommy read Bible, pray, sing..." So I know she was completely understanding we were talking about two different places.


Next I showed her the pictures of the room where she ate her meals. All the tables lined up together with little chairs. She said, "My table!" I asked her what she did in that room. She just stared at me so I said, "Did you paint on that table?" She said, "Nooo, eat soup." And, then it was over. She blanked out again and said, "All done". Soooo interesting! Over the years I think she will have days like today. Things will come back and she'll have the vocabulary to tell me. What a life our little girl has had. Can you imagine?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know why - maybe it is my past years with children, not just my own, but all the ones I taught who somewhere along the line had hiccups - metaphorically; but when I switch on my computer and am overly hectic and simply scroll down my blog list, YOURS is the one I open and read. Thankyou so much for sharing Tess's journey, and of course yours. You are an amazing woman and I truly admire you. Ann from the UK

Amy...who wanted 4. said...

Fascinating post.
Oh how I wish Caroline could tell me about her time in Russia. She was 14 months when she left so there really are no memories. Only leftover stuff like rocking and thumb sucking remains.
It is so weird though. It is so weird to know your child had a previous life without you. Just surreal.
LOVE your new posts on Tess. She sounds adorbale.

Michelle said...

WOW!
Did you ever record her singing in Russian?
Michelle

Sarah said...

I'm reading this with tears in my eyes, thanks for sharing Ang!

Ana said...

Great job writing all that!
I loved reading that she "allowed herself and you" to go back to the orphanage. I believe that is a major step in her attachment. She obviously felt safe enough to go there with you. AWESOME!!

You are doing A GREAT JOB!!

We are doing much better with our loss. I am totally confident that God is faithful and will lead us to our next child in His time. Thank you for your prayers!

Grammy said...

Oh Angela,
My heart is pounding as I read this. I love how Ana it put it that "she allowed herself & you to go back to the orphanage." I love getting to experience this with you and our Tess.